Thursday, March 21, 2013

disconnected

Lately, things have been catching up with me and I've been feeling disconnected. A lot has changed since I took my new job in October.  One of the biggest challenges is not having access to phone, email or internet during the day. In a society that is obsessed with social media, the internet and quick and easy communication, I'm no different than the next in my dependence on it.  At my last job, I was in a position where I had freedom, and in an environment where I got to see my hubby all day long. It was a pretty sweet deal.  Communicating and keeping up, was so easy. I emailed my mom maybe 2 - 3 times a day, and often checked in with friends via emails during the day. I could check the weather, the news, blogs, pinterest, facebook... I was up on everything.

Imagine if you didn't have your cell phone, email OR any internet access all (work)day long? Would your day be any different? My days fly by because I am busy working non-stop., sometimes I don't notice it. Other times, like when Madelyn is sick, or we are trying to sell and buy a house at the same time, I am completely helpless as everything goes on without me. If I'm feeling daring, I'll sneak my cell phone into my pocket when I go to the bathroom. I'll then proceed to hide in there for a few minutes longer than normal to peak at emails and see if I have a text from Brian or my mom.

Madelyn and I usually get home around 6:30 or 7:00pm. By the time she eats and goes down, then I make dinner and we eat, it's suddenly 8:30. Most nights I could crawl in bed then, but with a full tummy, I resist. Instead, this is my time to zone out for a bit. Maybe a little tv, but more often then not, this is when I do my best to catch up. I try to catch up on news, blogs, emails, bills, or chats with my mom and Brian. Unfortunately, an hour or so just isn't enough time. So, I'm behind. I feel like a hampster on a wheel, running and trying to catch up.

So, to my friends who I haven't been very good at keeping up with - I'm sorry! I'm trying, and once the house chaos quiets down a little bit, it'll be even easier.

Hope you are all doing well! TGIT :)

No comments:

Post a Comment