Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Keeping it real

If you know me, you know I'll always be real.  I try not to dwell on the negative, and put a positive spin on things, but all the while being honest. Our little life is far from perfect, but somewhere along the way, letting go of "perfect" has brought me so much joy.

There is a lot of planning that goes into sending out the perfect holiday card. Whether it be in design, paper, photos or wording... some people start planning way ahead. It's certainly something I've stressed about year after year. As I mentioned here last year, the design part is a cinch, thanks to my talented friend at Bella Carta Boutique. So for me, the hard part is having the photos to make up the card. My husband hates having his photo taken (which started as a young kid) and everyone knows that photographing small children is no easy task.

Last year, I got a late start and was scrambling mid-December to address and get them out quick. I really didn't want to end up doing that again this year, so I got an earlier start. With that jump start came a revised attitude toward the whole thing, where basically, I don't care. My husband will never like having his photo taken, Madelyn hates having her hair brushed, and it'll never be easy to photograph {our} kids. So, I said ce la vie!

We arranged for my sister to take our photos on a beautiful sunny Sunday last month. We planned to meet long before nap time, but our preparations took longer than expected and it was almost noon by the time we met - fail #1. Madelyn refused to let me brush her hair that morning, so we winged it with a messy ponytail. Anna was particularly cranky, and just as we got to the park, her nose started to run like mad. Oh joy.

It was windier than we thought, which made it feel cooler than anticipated and it was so sunny, that it was hard not to squint. For 45 minutes, I just smiled away, disregarding the mayhem going on around me. It is, what it is, right? I think Sara snapped over 300 photos in that short time and there are a handful that I love so much, my heart could explode. There are little things about each - lighting, messy hair, runny nose, etc etc that aren't perfect, but that's why I love them. They are real, they are us, and I sure do love us!

Here's a peek at a few of my favorites:\









No comments:

Post a Comment