Friday, April 3, 2015

On our horizon

After mulling it over for months, we've decided to do a bunch of work to our house. We're going to redo our small bonus room upstairs, so that it has heat/ac, proper carpet and stairs, both our bathrooms, and gut our kitchen. As excited as I am for all of it, as it gets a little closer, I'm beginning to get a little worried about the chaos that the actual work will bring to our lives! With two little kids and a dog... are we nuts?

I'm not sure if we'll have to go live with my parents for a bit or not (I guess I should check with them to see if its OK! :) but things will certainly be stirred up a bit around here. I think we're going to start with the upstairs, which should be an easy-er project, that'll be done in a few days and we wont be bothered by it. It'll mean coordinating to have the dog out of the house, and out of the way, and someone being here to let them or answer questions sometimes, but overall that should be easy! We're going to make that into a true playroom for the kids, and we can't wait for them to have their own space where they can play together, and we can store all their stuff! Yay :)

Over the next month, we're meeting with a contractor and picking out all of our finishes for a brand new kitchen and master bath, and a few things for our guest bath. This has me ecstatic and so anxious! We'll be without a kitchen for at least 2 weeks - ahh! They're tearing the whole thing out, including our entry way and kitchen floor, and starting from scratch. They do provide a portable sink so that you aren't totally put out - which actually, is a great idea but I'm not really looking forward to that two week period. We happen to be leaving for Florida in 10 days, and I was trying to plan it to start while we were away for the week, but of course that didn't work. So we'll come back from a nice vacation - to a completely torn up house. Oh well... I just need to remind myself of the end result, take a few deep breaths, and ce la vie!

I'm not great about before and after pictures, but I'll be sure to share a few as we go :) Then hopefully we'll be party-ready by the kick off of summer, as we have lots of entertaining to catch up on! 

*** UPDATE *** I started writing this post a few days ago, and things have really gone fast forward in just those few days. Work has been insane for Brian, as they are going through a huge office move, and he's been a little frazzled because of the transition and all that it entails for him. I am also going through some big changes at work, so our days have just been insane. On top of that, we met with the contractor on Tuesday evening just for a follow up, and what started as a touch base, turned into a project in full swing. They are free next week, so they want to do both bathrooms while we are away. So, while I can be really indecisive about some things, we are trying to make smart, yet quick design decisions, so that they can completely gut and renovate our bathrooms while we are away for a week starting next Wednesday. I mean, it only makes sense, but of course things didn't really get set it motion until just a few days ago. So, we've been studying pinterest, houzz.com and going through tons of photos to pick vanities and tile! Ahh. As if things couldn't get any nuttier around here, with Easter and work craziness, now we're designing our bathrooms with less than a weeks notice! CRUNCH time. TGIF in a big way :) Before and afters to follow, but first a fun family weekend and a (much needed) break in Florida with my family! Happy weekend all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment