Tuesday, April 25, 2017

NY International Auto Show

Ever since I can remember, I've had an interest in cars. Not in the Nascar sense, or under-the-hood-look-at-the engine interest, but just an appreciation for cool design styles, and different makes and models. We used to play a game when we were kids, that we called the commercial-game. While watching TV, we'd race to guess what the commercial was for. Any car commercial I'd win in seconds flat. I can name just about any make and model from really far distances. Totally weird, and no clue how it began. My sneaky little "talent" I guess. You know whats even weirder, both my girls can do it too! It's not like we talk about cars a lot but starting at like 3yo, Madelyn could recognize any like car on the road to one in our family. "There's Mimi's car" "that car is just like Gramma's" Maybe they are just observant, but it makes me smile :)

Anyway, my parents were (and still are) of the leasing mentality. I take after my Dad with this whole car thing, and he wouldn't have it any other way, getting into a new car every few years. Then, I met Brian; who, though his family has a thing for BMW's, they are more of the financing mentality. I may have opened his eyes a bit to my world, but he is still pro-buying. There is NO twisting his arm when it comes to putting money down on a lease, that is a: no-way-Jose!

That said, leasing has still been a great option for us financially. In a few short months, our Acadia lease is up, so that means its time to start thinking about what is next! Eekkk. For someone into cars, it's an exciting time and I get totally into it all. Brian recently goes "they all look the same" and I was so defensive... how could he not notice (and appreciate!) the differences :)  A Toyota Highlander and Honda Pilot do NOT look the same.

Last time we jumped from one Acadia lease to another because we were happy with the car and they offered us a good deal. This time though, I'm ready to move on. Our Acadia is probably the most common SUV on the road and this car hasn't held up great. I had a light bulb last week during the NYC car show, that in order to avoid spending lots of summer Saturdays at dealerships, we could go and look at all 15 at one time. Surprisingly Brian was into it and we were lucky my mom was free to hang with the girls for a few hours in the evening.

Unfortunately, it took us 2.5 hours to go all 38 miles to the Javitz Center, because it was pouring and traffic was horrible. But we parked 1 block away and got to see all our favorites up close and personal. Sort of a different date night, but it was fun! The real fancy show cars actually only had a small area set up and the rest of the show was all the common cars you see on the road. It was incredibly helpful and we've narrowed it down to 2 or 3. Now, it's just a matter of do we wait until August 31st to turn mine in through GMC, or do we hop into a new lease now and do a swap a few months early. The impatient one in me wants to go for it, but we might save $20 a month by waiting... so we'll see :)

Here are some pictures of the ones we made a point to see up close:

Lexus GX 460

Mazda CX9 

Honda Pilot

 Toyota Highlander

 Nissan Pathfinder

 Infiniti QX60 (all the <3 eyes for this one!)

 Volkswagen Atlas

Have a favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment