Sunday, November 25, 2012

The Christmas Spirit

As I've mentioned recently, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday.  For the last 10 or 12 years, part of our Thanksgiving tradition, was getting up early on Black Friday and going to Jones Tree Farm to cut down our Christmas Tree. It's something my parents did as kids with their families and they've continued to do with us. We typically went in December when our schedules allowed but we started the Black Friday tradition when I was in college because it was the only time I could join the fam.  So after a great day with family, we'd load up on the coffee, gloves and scarves and hit the road with christmas music to the tree farm. 

This year was the first year in a long time that we couldn't go on Friday or this weekend to get our tree. Right now, it's looking like we'll go next Saturday. I was totally bummed not to jump right from Thanksgiving into the Christmas spirit with that tradition. It didn't feel right to embrace Christmas without getting our tree first. However, I went out yesterday looking for a few new Christmas items for our house, hoping that might help get me in the spirit. Sure enough, I bought just a couple things that did the trick. I rearranged our mantle and added lots of red and green touches and voila! just like that, I am totally in the spirit. I will say, it's been nice to drive around the neighborhood and see the amount of people who have done the same thing. The Christmas lights are up in full effect, wreaths are hung and I have even seen some trees up inside homes! Since it's the most, wonderful time of the year, we might as well dive right in and enjoy the spirit as long as we can :)

Hope you had a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment