Saturday, March 29, 2014

Anna Christine Gerges is here!

We are so, very, excited to share that our baby girl is here! Anna Christine Gerges was born on Monday, March 24th at 5:52pm. She weighed 8lbs 11 oz and was 19.5 inches tall. We've been home for a few days now and we are really enjoying settling in at home as a family of 5 (can't forget the Q man!)

Our due date was March 27th 2014. At some point early in the 2nd trimester, we noticed that next to the EDD (3/27) there was another date listed (maybe based on the size?) and it always read March 24th. As we got closer to the due date, I wondered if that date, 3/24 actually had any significance. I have to say, I don't think you can know that labor is coming on because it just happens, BUT I had sort of thought Monday might actually be the day as we went into that weekend before.

The weekend before was perfect. It was relaxing, productive and fun. We went for a nice long walk together on Saturday. Enjoyed some time outside because it was so nice out, and really just lounged. Sunday night we went to my parents house as we always do, and I didn't feel great after dinner. I was uncomfortable and had crazy indigestion. Both of those symptoms though are fairly common in the final weeks/month :) I went to bed feeling OK and looking forward to the fact that no matter what happened, Monday was my first day of leave and I didn't have to go to work :)

Monday morning the alarm went off and we snoozed 2x like we always do. I actually fell to sleep in between each. Then right before the alarm went off again, around 7:10am, I sort of woke up on my own. I was laying there, barely awake, looked at the monitor to see Madelyn and I remember thinking, well today, I don't have to jump up and get going... that's a treat. Then poof, as that thought finished crossing through my mind, my water broke. At first I wasn't sure, it started sort of slow... but when it didn't stop, I knew. I pretty casually tapped Brian on the shoulder and out of his sleep - "hey Bri, my water just broke." He was out of bed in a millisecond - "really?! Ok! it's go time, babe!" I think were some of the things he said before he jumped in the shower. I called my mom first, so she could hurry over for M and Q, and then the Dr. I had been so curious all along what it would be like to have a natural labor experience, and was sort of hoping for just this. Only 10% of women's waters break, so I wasn't holding my breath for that to happen, but I was hoping not to be induced so I could experience everything doing what it should by itself. So while I was sort of in shock, and barely even awake, I kept thinking - its actually happening on it's own!

I took the fastest shower ever, gave M and Q kisses, amongst tears, and we were off! We were at the hospital within the hour. Then we just hung out for what seemed like a few hours. I hadn't really dilated much passed what I had been for the last week - 2cms, and I wasn't having any contractions. They decided to start pitocin to help things along and around 10:30am I started having contractions, real, serious contractions.  The first time around, I had back labor so before the contractions got bad and I had an epidural, I'd had so much pain medication I was feeling no pain. Unfortunately, looking back, I was barely feeling anything and I was in such a fog, that the birth was even a bit hazy. This time around, I felt everything and was aware of every little thing. Making for a totally different experience. I had the epidural around noon, and then rested for a few hours, as they upped the pitocin and my body did it's thing. Around 5pm, I started to feel an increase in pressure, and they called the doctor on call in, and she checked me - 10 cms, it was go time!

They called my doctor at the office, and while he got ready to come over, he wanted me to start pushing. I told the nurse, I was afraid that if I pushed, she'd be born. She sort of doubted me, and said that my doctor wanted me to try anyway, so we were going to try one push. As I pushed, she cut me short and said "ok, ok, stop. We're going to wait because you are right. The baby is right there, ready to come out" That was definitely reassuring because at that point, my biggest fear was getting her down quickly and out smoothly, asap! While we were waiting for the doctor, my Dad arrived at the hospital around 5:30pm, just in time to take over watching Madelyn in the waiting room, to allow for Sara to join my mom in the delivery room with us! It all came together, literally in like 10 minutes. My doctor walked in around 5:30pm and asked if he had time to change, and he reappeared like 5 minutes later. In the next 20 minutes, I pushed maybe 3 times, and Anna was born at 5:52pm!

Every pregnancy, every birth and every child is different.  While my 2nd pregnancy was fairly similar to my first, the birth was totally different.  This time my water broke, there were less drugs, fewer people in the room for a more intimate experience and less pushing for a quick birth! I'm so happy to have had both experiences, and in each situation a healthy baby placed on my chest right after!

Just like that, our family expanded and we have this new incredible person to welcome into our family.  This new little person to care for, watch over and love on, and so far, it's been a dream! Madelyn LOVES her baby sister and is constantly looking for her, giving her her paci, and covering her in blankets. It's the most incredible thing to watch her be a big sister and dote on her little sis.

I don't have pictures on our camera, as we got our camera and Sara's confused in the delivery room. When I get some photos, we'll share :) Thanks for checking in on us, and I'll be sure to keep you posted on all, as we continue to settle in at home!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment