Thursday, May 25, 2017

I am scared

I must do a pretty good job of living in the present. With some recent local news and then the news around the world, this week I have found myself overwhelmed with fear and worries about the future for my girls. I've probably shared on here before that I am a good sleeper, so thankfully it's not making me lose sleep per se, but I can't stop thinking about our future, their future and my role in helping them navigate life.

Parenthood is a WILD ride and although our kids are still young, they are starting to have experiences in school and life that they'll remember years down the road. They are vulnerable, easily influenced and so, so precious. And, this is just the start. How much to you try to protect them? how much do you share? How to you help them become strong, kind, confident, compassionate and hard working people?

Recently, there was a story in our local news, that I just can't stop thinking about. A high school party that involved lots of alcohol. I think I went to 2 real big parties in high school - never partook in the partying just watched and left. But they happen in abundance, everywhere and I know this. Brian has many stories of his more social and sneaky shenanigans in high school. Anyway, at this particular party there were a lot of 17 year old boys from the baseball team, and girls that were included at the last minute. The parents were not home. They are not releasing specific details of what happened, but at around 10:30pm one boy (star of the baseball team) ended up at the bottom of a flight of stairs, unconscious. Other kids noticed within minutes and quickly the boy who lived at the home called his parents. His parents told him not to call police, they'd be home soon. It wasn't until a FULL HOUR later at 11:25pm that 911 was called. In that hour, other parents came to the home to pick up their teens, and the father of the unconscious boy came to the home as well. Around 11:00pm the home-owners arrived home. I can't imagine the conversations, arguments or words that were exchanged in this time, but my head spins that there was no call for help immediately. There was one girl who continued to press peers and adults to call 911 but continually was dismissed and told "NO!" The girl even got into an argument with the homeowners when they arrived home. She tried to reach her own parents once or twice before finally connecting with her dad (a firefighter in town) and she explained what happened. This man was the one who finally called 911 around 11:25pm. The boy was very badly hurt and in a coma for 2 weeks. They have not released his condition but thankfully he did survive. However, I'm not sure he'll play baseball at college as he was planning, with a scholarship. A very sad and unnecessary situation. How so many adults (and young adults for that matter) could hesitate in a time like that is just beyond me. The one thing that I keep coming back to is the young girl- who recognized the wrong, and ultimately got a call through to 911. When everyone is against you, or telling you no and you still stand strong.... When you are determined to do what's right... that's a good kid.

And the hazing incident at Penn State that isn't recent but was in recent news for the charges. And then Manchester... don't even get me started. It just saddens and scares me, in a whole new way since becoming a parent. I feel such an obligation as a parent to help my girls and just hope and pray for all of us in months and years to come.  All the social media, all the pressures, all the stuff that our kids are exposed to long before they are really ready to process it. I am scared. Now that I've gotten that off my chest and out of my head... I think I might have to force myself back to the present and living only for today. I will literally make myself sick otherwise! So, one day at a time and I'll just keep praying for a brighter future. 

Hope you and yours have a wonderful holiday weekend! 
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment