Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Kindergarten

Hold your horses! Stop the presses! Say it ain't so! It is official - Miss Madelyn Jayne is registered for Kindergarten. Oh, my, gosh. I thought I might cry, but I didn't. After the work putting all the information together, the actual meeting for registration, was quick and easy. Sort of anti-climatic if you will. I'm sure on the first day of school, or the week or two leading up to, you will find me flying through tissues as I bawl my eyes out... but for right now, I'm ok. I just can't believe it. We all know that time flies, but every now and then its as if the reality of it just hits us upside the head.

A few months back I went to a pre-registration meeting for all upcoming kindergarten parents. It was very informative and insightful as we looked ahead to the coming year.  Madelyn had only recently turned 4, and the start to kindergarten was almost 10 months away, so it felt like I had time. Time to process, adjust and cope with all the changes coming up. One speaker had a few great tips about prepping our little ones for their new adventure. In addition, they touched on how a large part of a smooth transition has to do with Mom and Dad, and how we handle it. Sure, I can be excited for her and speak positively about it, because I am looking forward to her experiences. However, seeing that this is our first time, there is a whole lot of more to it, for me. So, forgive me but letting go just wont be that easy.

(There they are... the tears, that were hiding)

My sweet baby girl seems to have grown leaps and bounds lately, both physically and mentally. She's essentially the size of a 1st grader, and she seems (to me) to be fully equipped for learning, reading, writing and all that will come next year. But, I am not ready. Thankfully I still have a few months until day 1. Starting school is like real big-kid status, it's the real deal. I have so many worries, so many hopes, and most of all, so much love for my little munchkin. I hope she doesn't ever lose her innocence, her spark, her empathy and love for others, and I hope she has f-u-n. They recently did a whole lesson on butterflies at school, and it seemed appropriate - that's just like her. She's beautiful and delicate, and I've loved to watch her grow.

We painted the lyrics to this song on the wall in Madelyn's nursery in our old house, and now a few years later, it holds even more significance as we're looking ahead to this big milestone - my wishes for my little butterfly:

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young.

No comments:

Post a Comment